Grand River Raceway is getting ready for their most adorable race of the year!
Grand River Raceway (GRR) is proud to announce their popular Wiener Dog Races are back again this year!
Also referred to as “the most adorable race of the season”, on Friday, July 14, 28 dachshunds will race in three heats of 9 or 10 dogs in between the horse races. The three winners from each heat move on to the final race consisting of 9 dogs who then will (hopefully) dash to the finish line to take home the biscuits!
Ren’s Pets is returning as the event sponsor, and they are barking with excitement! They will provide each wiener dog competitor a tasty and fun prize pack. Top dogs (top 3 winners) will get an extra special treat! Ren’s will be on-site with a booth and are excited to be a part of such a fun event.
“This is a race everyone can get excited about,” says Louise Frost, Marketing Coordinator, Grand River Raceway. “The local community has always been a huge supporter of this adorable event making it our most attended and busiest race night. We can’t wait to see the crowd cheering on all the wieners…wait, I mean winners!”
This is a FREE family-friendly event with several options for food, entertainment, and seating.
- Free entry to all! Feel free to find seating on the tarmac, grandstands, and The GrandWay Patio.
- Buy a Wiener Dog T-shirt to start or add to your GRR swag collection. On sale for $20 (including tax) Cash is preferred. Limited quantity available, so grab yours before they run out.
- Come for dinner!
- Food Trucks – There will be three food trucks on-site to enjoy. At the East Gate will be Berlin 95, The Serial Griller, and MegaCone Creamery will be here!
- The GrandWay Lounge – They will have a meal special: “The Top Dog Combo” available along with their tasty race night menu. They are featuring an all-beef footlong hot dog with the works (relish, crispy onions, roasted garlic aioli), and a side of kettle chips for $10 + taxes.
- We have Dixon’s Distillery selling refreshing beverages on The GrandWay Patio.
- VIP Tickets in the Captain’s Quarters are SOLD OUT!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the list to be contacted first when tickets go on sale next year.
Last year a crowd of around 3,000 people attended the event! It is recommended you come early, doors open at 5:30 pm. GRR asks that you respect all guests and staff and allow everyone an opportunity to see the dogs race.
For those who enjoy wagering on the horse races (note that there is no wagering on wiener dog races), we have a stacked wagering menu for the 10 races that includes a $5,000 guaranteed Early Pick 5 which kicks off in horse race #1.
New to horse racing? A list of frequently asked questions regarding GRR race nights can also be found on the “Wiener Dog Race” webpage. GRR live racing is scheduled every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights at 6:30 pm.