Grand River Raceway’s Multi-year Accessibility Plan outlines the policies and actions that Grand River Raceway will put in place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities.
Statement of Commitment
Grand River Raceway is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Accessible Emergency Information
Grand River Raceway is committed to providing the customers and clients with publicly available emergency information in an accessible way upon request. We will also provide employees with disabilities with individualized emergency response information when necessary.
Grand River Raceway will provide training to employees, volunteers on Ontario’s accessibility laws and on the Human Rights Code as it relates to people with disabilities. Training will be provided in a way that best suits the duties of employees, volunteers.
Grand River Raceway will take the following steps to ensure employees are provided with the training needed to meet Ontario’s accessible laws by January 1, 2015.
- Grand River Raceway will be required to complete training of staff and management on the requirements of the IASR and on the Ontario Human Rights Code as it pertains to person with disabilities
- Grand River Raceway’s new hire orientation program will be further enhanced to include accessibility training
- Grand River Raceway will maintain records of training provided in connection to AODA
Grand River Raceway will take the following steps to ensure employees consider the needs of people with disabilities when designing, procuring or acquiring self-service kiosks by January 1, 2014.
- Grand River Raceway will have regard to accessibility features when procuring or acquiring Kiosks.
- Grand River Raceway will ensure that those having responsibility for the procurement or acquisition of kiosks obtain, document and consider accessibility information during the procurement or acquisition processes.
Information and Communications
Grand River Raceway is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities. We will consult with people with disabilities to determine their information and communication needs. Grand River Raceway will take the steps to make sure all publicly available information is made accessible upon request by January 1, 2016.
Grand River Raceway will take the following steps to make ensure existing feedback processes are accessible to people with disabilities upon request by January 1, 2015.
- Grand River Raceway’s feedback processes will continue to allow for multiple types of communication such as email, telephone, or regular mail.
- Grand River Raceway will review its feedback processes to determine if changes are required to enhance accessibility.
- All accessibility related inquires will be reviewed.
Grand River Raceway will take the following steps to make all new websites and content on those sites conform with WCAG 2.0, Level A by January 1, 2014 and to ensure that all website and content conform with WCAG 2.0 level AA (with certain exceptions) by January 1, 2021:
- All new Grand River Raceway’s website will be assessed and evaluated for accessibility to ensure conformance with WCAG 2.0 Level A
- Grand River Raceway will ensure that its IT Consultants are aware of and monitor the AODA website requirements
- Grand River Raceway along with the IT Consultants will develop a plan to ensure the AODA website requirements are met by the applicable compliance dates.
Grand River Raceway is committed to fair and accessible employment practices.
On or before January 1, 2016, we will take the following steps to notify the public and staff that, when requested, will accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired.
- If an applicant requests accommodation, we will consult with the applicant to provide suitable accommodation.
- When making an offer of employment, Grand River Raceway will notify the successful candidate of our policy for accommodating employees with disabilities.
Grand River Raceway will take the following steps to develop and put in place a process for developing individual accommodation plans and return-to-work policies for employees that have been absent due to a disability.
- On or before July 1, 2015, Grand River Raceway will review existing policies and procedures and if necessary, enhance processes for people with disabilities with respect to the development of accommodation plans and return-to-work processes in order to come into compliance with the AODA.
We will take the following steps to ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account if Grand River Raceway is using performance management, career development and redeployment processes.
- Grand River Raceway will review and revise (as necessary) existing policies and procedures in this area to ensure we are in compliance with the AODA.
Design of Public Spaces
Grand River Raceway will meet the Accessibility Standards for the Design of Public Spaces when building or making major modifications to public spaces, including the outdoor public eating areas, outdoor paths of travel, outdoor play spaces (if ever applicable), off street parking, service counters, fixed queuing lines and waiting areas. In order to ensure that accessibility issues are taken into account the context of new builds and major modifications on or before January 1, 2017, Grand River Raceway will ensure that the appropriate individuals are aware of these requirements and develop a plan to ensure compliance by the applicable deadline.
Grand River Raceway will put the following procedures in place to prevent service disruptions to its accessible parts of its public space. In the event of a service disruption, we will notify the public of the service disruption and alternatives available.
For more information on this accessibility plan, please contact Rena Edmondson, Human Resources Manager at Grand River Raceway:
Phone: 519 846-5455 ext. 296
Accessible formats of this plan are available upon request from the Grand River Raceway Gift Shop.