Friday race nights at Grand River Raceway wrap up with Miniature Horse Race, Wanna Drive program
ELORA, ON — September 2 marks the final Fun & Frivolity Friday Night of the 2016 live horse racing season at Grand River Raceway in Elora and the track has a little extra to highlight the occasion.
Nine miniature horses will compete in an exhibition race following Race 8 (approximately 9:00 p.m.). The half-mile dash includes returning champion Norton who took the 2015 race with driver Alexis Bandy for owner Jackie Panko.
Looking to shine in his driving debut is longtime racehorse owner Bob Frank, proprietor of Frank’s Jewellers in uptown Waterloo. Frank will pilot Susie Kerwood’s starter, Simba.
The field for the Miniature Horse Race:
- COORS – Driver: Travis Henry | Owner: Nicole Henry
- NORTON – Driver: Alexis Bandy | Trainer: Jackie Panko
- PRINCE CHARMING – Driver: Breanna Lawson | Owner: Katie Panko
- SIMBA – Driver: Bob Frank | Owner: Susie Kerwood
- MABLE – Driver: Bruce Richardson | Owner: Paula Austin
- EMMA – Driver: Katie Reid | Owner: Sondra Miller
- OREO – Driver: Karoline Nielsen | Owner: Tristen Forgie
- DIAMOND – Driver: Danielle Belec | Owner: Danielle Belec & Mark Etsell
- CHESTER – Driver: Dawson | Owner: Jackie Panko
The Wanna Drive program will offer guests of all ages the rare opportunity to drive a racehorse, on the track, between the races. Guests will ride with a pro in double-seated carts, making one lap of the track at a casual pace. A total of 30 spots are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Sign-up at the Tarmac Show starting at 6:00 p.m.
The usual Fun & Frivolity Friday Night antics include 107.5 DAVE ROCKS’ live broadcast under the Tarmac Tent from 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 pm. The track’s free kids’ program, The NEIGHbourhood, is also offered under the Tarmac Tent, from 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. The program offers horse crafts and a group photo with the winning horse of Race 5 followed by a behind-the-scenes barn tour.
Post time is 6:35 p.m. for the first race on September 2.
After September 2, live horse racing continues Monday and Wednesday nights until the season closer on September 28.